Saturday 9 July 2011

An Addendum

I know I’ve harped on about this to stupid levels in the past few days, and I’m sorry, I can’t guarantee this is my last post on the subject. The thing is, I think it’s really important.

John Finnemore (remember my mate?) gave a startling, brilliant and moving speech about this, about seven minutes into the Now Show on BBC Radio 4 yesterday. It’s available on iPlayer and it’s worth hearing. Sod it; here’s a link.


Finnemore reminded people that right now, at this moment, while we’re being listened to for the first time ever, we need to keep shouting about what’s going on in our tabloid press.

Not just shouting like my fairly pathetic efforts on this blog, but shouting towards the people who do, or at least should, listen. Send emails, write letters, keep talking. Show that we expect standards from the press and that we won’t forget this and go away.

I know some of you who read this aren't of voting age yet, and I wanted to remind you that this doesn’t mean your MP doesn’t represent you. They do, and they have a duty to at least listen to what you have to say, and they have a responsibility to try to answer your questions. That is what they are being paid for.

In case you didn’t know how to find your MPs contact details they are available on line here:


And their email is given if you use the search embedded in the Guardian’s politics page:


You need to put your full name and postal address on any emails you send.

Please don’t forget that you have a voice.

Pip xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment